Saturday, April 25, 2009

Class Podcasts

The first of the two past podcasts that I listened to was “Possibilities for using Facebook in an Educational Setting”, by Allison Midgette and Shaundretta Bethel in fall of 2008. The podcast actually was a very beginning to a topic that the two ladies or anyone else could elaborate on. The two ladies each gave an account of the pros of using facebook. Allison had first hand experience using Facebook in the classroom with students, and Shaundretta did some extensive research of individuals who have used it. It sounded like the ladies were a little bit nervous at first, but as they went on the podcast got better. It was quick, informative and to the point.
There are a few things that I would have done differently. The first thing I would have done different is to speak slower when mentioning some of the websites or procedures for using Facebook. I like to take notes while listening, so if the instructors are speaking to fast I have to rewind in order to get the information I need. The second would be to engage more with my colleagues to create a buzz for others to go out and try Facebook. I would have talked up the use sort of like a salesman. Overall I liked this particular podcast; I thought it was pretty well done.

The second podcast that I listened to was “Blogs and Blogging”, by Silas Smith, Andrea Williams, and Lashonda Pruitt in fall 2008. This particular podcast started out like a how to podcast, but shortly into it Andrea and Silas began to engage into some informative dialogue with one another. This dialogue I liked between the two. What I focused on the most was what Silas referred to as “common sense” actions with dealing with blogging. He was very opinionated, engaging, and to the point. Once again I liked his contribution, and the structure of this podcast.
The only thing that I would do different was to try and get everyone engaged in the discussion. Lashonda gave the facts and Silas elaborated on the facts. The opportunity to discuss, debate, or agree on ideas is at the core of a podcast. Finally, one of the most important aspects of a podcasts if possible is the ability to edit content. If editing is available I urge everyone to use it. Overall I enjoyed this podcast the most of the two that I listened to.


No comments:

Post a Comment